Monday, November 4, 2013

Shopping as a therapy




Nice dresses, shoes or bags... Most of the time we buy even if we don't need anything. As a woman when you enter a shop, you forget the problems for a while and get lost among the colours of the fabrics or the shine of the jewelry. However I find shopping most of the time as a placebo although I love it. The affect goes on till you arrive at home. And if you put the bags somewhere around and then never look at; you must be sure that shopping has the same affect on you. Today a fashion designer, Duygu Karatas is my guest. She sees also shopping as a way of therapy for women. And what does fashion mean for her? Let’s read…



How do you define your style, Duygu?

I like creating a balance among my clothes. I mean in colours. They should fit each other. I can’t wear clothes with big patterns such as flowers or big birds. I know my body more or less and I can also cut and sew for myself.

Duygu Karatas

That must be an opportunity for you. What do you sew for yourself?

Mostly skirts. I find skirts very comfortable. Mini, long… I can use any kinds of fabrics. Denim, cotton, silk…

White is easy to combine

Do you like shopping? What does shopping mean for you?

Yes, I like shopping. But I buy mostly shoes and bags. To be honest it is difficult for me to buy other clothing because I can create myself.

Black bag&shoes

Do you have some favourite colours in clothing?

I choose this year mostly the popular colours of 2013. I prefer pastel tons. 


White is a must for me. I can combine any colour for example with a white skirt, Capri pants or trousers. 

Big hats look elegant

You are working in fashion branch. What did you study?

I studied art. But I design and sew since my childhood. Since last 10 years I have been working as a fashion designer. I design mainly tricot. I play with colours and wools and try creating something new. Tricot is different than weaving. It is more technical in the creating process, more complicated. You have to know everything about both trico machines and the wools so that you can give life what you have drawn on the papers. 


Which brands or designers‘ products do you like other than yours?

I like the designs of Yargıcı.  I buy also in Twist, Henry, AllSaints, Bershka, Maxmara and Mango. For example till now I didn’t buy anything in H&M. Although I like the designs there, I find its forms not much suitable for me. If I buy something there I have to make changes, shorten etc. I don't like making changes when I buy something. 

Mini black dress for a dinner or party

Is shopping a passion for you?

I am not a shopaholic. It is more like a play for me. I like going into shops and look at the things and then think which ones I can combine with something I have or something in the shop. 


Do the shop window designs affect you?

Yes. Actually I worked on that area too for a while. However I mostly understand the concept inside by looking at the window. So there were several times that I didn't go inside because of that. I know what they present inside by looking at the shop window.

Do you shop online?

No. I never buy a cloth that I didn't touch. I have to touch it and feel what kind of fabric it is. Is it wool or cotton? I have to know it. So you can’t understand it by just looking in the internet. 

White shorts are her favourite

Which fabrics do you find more comfortable?

Linen, voile, cotton, silk and denim.

Do you follow fashion shows?

Yes, I try visiting some shows. They help to get some ideas about the new styles or colours.

Both elegant and sportive

How do you get inspired?

Firstly we define popular colours of the season. Then by combining it with the design we try creating a new style in the tricot. It is not as easy as creating a t-shirt. Because you can’t use print in tricot as in t-shirts. It is not so easy. So I try creating a balance among all the elements. 

For summer nights...

What do the Turkish women wear nowadays? What is popular there? Do they follow fashion?

Of course. We have everything here what they in Europe have. We go simultaneously. Neon colours and tunics with authentic designs are popular nowadays. Platform shoes and flare trousers are also worn much. Everywhere is multicolored nowadays.

Turkish women seems to be a little bit crazy about shopping?

Yes. Shopping is actually one of the therapy methods for them. We love display a little bit. If you don't follow the fashion, you are sidelined.


Do you have some suggestions for women?

Yes, I am a little bored of the two parts combinations such as skirt and shirt or trousers and t-shirts. The dresses are fashionable nowadays and they should enjoy wearing dresses more. 


It is also comfortable and elegant. They can combine it with colourful bags and shoes. I am also careful with the balance between the colours of the shoes, bags and the accessories and even the watches. I find it important too.

No comments:

Post a Comment